Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The pictures below are from my trip to Tanna and some recent ones of my host family. I'd post some better captions but my editing screen is showing the code rather than the picture so I can't figure out where to type.
The pictures of the volcano show Mt. Yasur on Tanna. It is a very active volcano, at least it was when I was there, with rumbling and small explosions every few minutes. We were able to go just before dark so we could see our way up but also get to enjoy the fireworks of the lava explosions after the sun set. It was amazing to be that close to so much power--no guide rails, no warning signs, just some height and being on the safe side of the crater.
The custom dancers were from a nearby village and you can see the volcano's silhouette behind them on the left.
One of the first family pictures of my mbumbu Christina (grandma). She is about 4 feet tall, had to change her blouse when I asked to take her picture, and is the crafter of the mat she is holding up. She lives very close to my host family.
There is also a family picture with almost all of my host family. Two brothers are missing. My host mother is holding up the newest addition to the family, my niece Rachel and my sister Sophia is holding my cousin, Beres. There is also a picture of my scratching manioc for laplap with my host father sitting in the background. Right after my sister took the picture, my host mother came in with a cloth to drape over my lap. I have a habit of scratching the manioc or banana or yam onto myself rather than into the dish.
The last two pictures are of Christmas celebrations, the first with my host family on Ambae and the second of my US family in island dresses. My sisters don't know I'm posting this picture but they will find out soon enough. If the post disappears in the next couple of days it's because my mom knows my password and didn't want the world to see her "island style."














I head back tomorrow morning. The New Zealand plans are coming together bit by bit and I'm excited about my short stop in Auckland. I will miss all of you but look forward to reunions next winter.

No comments: