Friday, August 29, 2008

A summary of the last two weeks

Flagler Beach--My timing was poor, but I was able to spend a couple of days with Kathryn and Andrew in Flagler Beach . . . during Tropical Storm Fay. I drove across Florida as the storm was moving north and hit the first rain just east of Orlando. We spent the next two days holed up at Kath's (except for Andrew who got called in to work at the firehall) while Fay took her sweet time moving north directly over Flagler Beach. We did have a small window of time to take a walk when the eye passed over, but otherwise we were fairly housebound. The storm itself wasn't that bad in Flagler Beach, fairly steady rain and wind but nothing too ferocious, but most other places were closed. Fortunately, there was plenty for us to do. We spent one evening in the attic going through all of Kath's school boxes looking for books and worksheets and seminar notes on literacy development in elementary school. I spent the next two days going through stacks of materials, taking notes and learning about phonemic awareness, vocabulary building, sight words, and how to turn silly songs into learning tools. What have I gotten myself into?

Chattanooga--I spent four days in Chattanooga visiting with friends, subbing for a day, and refereeing a volleyball scrimmage. It was a little strange to be back at CCS without a classroom and a to-do list but it was nice to sit in Susan's office and chat with whoever came in. Subbing for Jeannette in the art room was a reminder that it will be good to take some time off from teaching--the power had gone out that morning and the kids were . . . stimulated by the excitement and there is nothing in the art room to absorb sound. :) It was great, though, because Jeannette's classes are primarily 8th grade so I could visit with my former students and not worry too much about whether the work was getting done. And the volleyball teams look great though it was hard to leave at the end of practice. Those senior girls have been part of my life for 6 years now. (I'll miss you!)

I didn't get a lot of emotional support from the faculty about going to Vanuatu. Apparently, the nobility of joining the Peace Corps has been undermined by the scenic beauty of my future site and my perceived level of sacrifice has dropped. That's ok. Just wait until I get there. I'll post a picture of the biggest cockroach ever seen crawling across the wall of my tropical hut and see if that doesn't change perceptions of my blissful life in paradise. Actually, the Peace Corps sent a booklet on adjusting to the new life and culture and work and it was a very good reminder of what kinds of challenges do await. They started with the weather, which I hope to enjoy (except for all of that rain) but there were some great tips in there about how I will appear to my future co-workers and how tiring it is to learn a new place when you can't escape from it. Everything will be new and that is exhuasting. I plan to bring the handy little book along and will probably be consulting it frequently just as a reminder that [whatever phase of frustration I am passing through at the moment] too shall pass.

Vanuatu--My departure is set for September 16. I will fly to LA for a day and a half of introductions and some basic training. We leave in the evening on the 19th from LA and we arrive in Vanuatu on the 22nd, bright and EARLY. It doesn't actually take 2 full days; we're crossing the international dateline from the 21st into the 22nd.

Lonely Planet published a guidebook about Vanuatu and the Bradenton downtown library happened to have it so we've been reading up. It sounds like the rainiest months are the first ones we spend at our actual sites--January through March--so that will be interesting. LP also said that the primary schools are conducted in English or French and Bislama is reserved for the playground. I hadn't realized that from the basic info the Peace Corps sent. I thought the primary schools were conducted either in the local language or in Bislama and the kids also had to learn the European language. That makes the information I got from Kath that much more helpful since it probably won't have to be translated or modified for Bislama. And that means that the people I work with in the ministry of eduation will probably have at least a working knowledge of English or with people who speak French. The Bislama will help me in my village and in the capital city at the markets and such.

I have collected most of the things I hope to bring. (The flashlight arrived, Susan S.! It works wonderfully.) Whether it will fit into my bags and weigh less than 80 pounds in total is another issue, but at least it's all gathered in one spot. I figure I can mail a box of extras and books if I want to. Speaking of which, I have a mailing address for the 10 weeks I will be in training. If you would like to get in touch with me (PLEASE DO!), you can either email me through my gmail account or send things to the mailing address.

or send regular mail to:
Rachel Meiste
Peace Corps/Vanuatu
PMB 9097
Port Vila
Republic of Vanuatu

And once I am at my site, I will arrange for a local mailing address but I won't know what that is until sometime in December.

I have been working on a wish-list if anyone should be inclined to send a package. I feel a little presumptuous, but nobody has to use it, right? I'll try to figure out how to post it along the right side of the page and I'll put the mailing/emailing info there too so it's easy to find. Just in case. :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad things are coming together Rachel. Thanks for the update. I'm praying for a safe trip and smooth transition!

Crystal said...

Hi Rachel
It was good to read your update- we have been camping and I haven't checked much. Maybe you just put it out there, I don't know. But either way I will be happy to help you with the wish list. I'll try to send something tomorrow or Wednesday. I'm thinking I would like to wrap myself up and go along but then what would happen to that 80 pounds. :)
Love Aunt Crys

Shelley said...

I was just looking to see who else had their location listed as 'in transit' when I found your blog (I happen to be taking the scenic route to teach English in Sichuan, China with the Mennonite Central Committee). When I was looking at your post about placement, I was struck with your change in placement and impressed by your attitude. Originally, I wanted to do work in Eastern Europe. China was probably nearly the last place I had considered, but it worked out. So, i, a complete stranger, guess I'm just leaving this comment to encourage you with whatever you are now doing on your assignment, because your friends are correct--God's timing is perfect but also a little bizarre sometimes. I am perhaps the champion of making plans for him to reschedule.