Monday, September 15, 2008

TIME TO GO!

My flight will be leaving from the Sarasota airport tomorrow at 3:55 and I'm either overpacking or underbagging. My bed is covered with assorted things that somehow didn't make it into the two bags I've packed. So far three people have weighed in with opinions--2 for "bring another bag" and 1 for "do what you think is best." I have to say that I'm torn between making sure everything fits (and having room for a couple of spare items) and the fear that I'm overdoing it--that my American materialism is overriding my better judgement. It is also important to keep in mind that I have to carry everything I bring, probably several times and in less than smooth conditions. There is still time to cast your vote--dial 1 for "bring another bag," 2 for "cut back on the goods," and 3 for "do what you think is best." The winner will be announced the next time I am able to update.

I will be bringing a computer after all. Communications from the Peace Corps regarding mail mentioned that expensive items have a tendency to get misplaced when they have to go through the postal system/customs in Vanuatu so my original plan to 'get there and see if a computer would be helpful' had to be thrown out. Depending on my placement, the computer will come with me and be a handy, helpful tool or it will be put into storage in Port Vila for use when I am there. So much depends on the placement.

The last two weekends were spent visiting with Florida friends and family. One weekend, I was in Ft. Lauderdale visiting with my friend Elizabeth and her family. The next weekend was spent with my sisters, brother-in-law, and parents. We had a great time visiting the beach and kayaking and playing lawn volleyball.

Many thanks to all of you who have called or emailed or commented here on the blog. I so appreciate all of your encouragement and support.
See you again in 27 months or so!

1 comment:

momstaxi1111 said...

Wow! What an exciting new chapter of your life. I look forward to reading your continuing saga. (We have not met yet, I am a friend of Faith's. I am excited for you!